Saturday, February 21, 2015

Architecture Blueprints



1st Grade: Architecture 

1st graders explored architecture. We looked at many kinds of buildings, including a panorama of downtown Dallas. It was projected on the whiteboard and was pretty awesome. We discussed the basic shapes of tall office skyscrapers, police stations, restaurants, even their own houses. Architecture is quite fun as their are so many lines and shapes within buildings to find! I saw this project on a different art blog one day at Mrs. Knight's Smartest Artists:

http://dolvinartknight.blogspot.com/2011/02/kindergarten-stamp-printing.html

I am promising myself, I'm going to link back to the awesome blogs that inspire the projects we do here at Davis! 
We used various tools to make the geometric shapes. We began with various cardboard pieces to make the sides and basic outlines of the building. Students were free to create any building they wanted or to even make up a building from their imagination. Students were then given "duplo blocks" (giant lego blocks) to make squares, gluestick lids (to make circles) and triangles cut from sponges. This was a very messy project..after the first class it helped that I encouraged students to at least try to stay "neat". The messy part was in handling the blocks, lids and triangle sponges. However, the end results are worth it. I only wish I had 10 sinks in my room instead of 2!!


No comments:

Post a Comment