Monday, June 22, 2015

2nd-Radial Design

2nd Grade: Radial Designs (Radial Symmetry)


This was my 2nd year to do tempera radial designs with 2nd grade. Click below, to see last year's radial design with 2nd. 


This year, we changed it up a little bit. I decided to not have students cut out the design. Also, students did one design (instead of 2). Lastly, students cut a custom paper frame for their design and it was displayed on this frame. 

Students explored radial designs in a flipchart. We looked at some examples of radial symmetry from sea life: starfish, sea anenomes and sea urchins. We also looked at bike wheels, flowers, and various radial designs around us. 
For this project, students painted a dot or small circle in the center of a colored piece of copy paper or cardstock. Then, students used various lines and patterns to build their radial design. (I did do a couple examples for each class) Rules were: use a different line/pattern and color each time a new "circle" was started. Students could add paint between circles or leave as a linear design. Next class, I did a step by step of how to cut a custom paper frame (basically a "snowflake"..but using a rectangle instead of a circle) A piece of 12 " x 18" construction paper is folded in half twice. Then, students cut out designs on the "open edges". I show a few examples to give some inspiration.
Lastly, students glue the design paper to the frame. I do emphasis "centering" carefully!

Wow, these are so neat! I wish I could of posted more, but my pics were accidentally deleted before they got posted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment