Tuesday, February 10, 2015

4th koi fish

4th Grade: Koi Fish

I found the inspiration for this art at Smart Class:


I did this last year with my 2nd graders and decided to do this with my 4th graders this year. We read the Dragon Gate legend and also watched a video with Koi fish swimming around. Koi fish represent strength and determination and are a symbol of love and friendship in Japan. They are a kind of carp. They can have many colors-but mainly in the warm color family.

I did a step by step drawing of a basic koi. I demonstrated how to vary the fins, tail and scales. Students were free to have stylized fins, tail and scales. Students drew the outline with pencil and then traced with black permanent marker. Students then added details, like scales, with permanent marker. Students added a curvilinear line around the fish and added  flowers. It is amazing to see how many different ways students can envision a koi fish!! Amazing!! 
On the next art day, students added color with Crayola broad tip markers. I told students they could leave "blank" areas on the fish, because the marker ink will disperse when water is added and create values. On the 3rd art day, students added water to disperse the ink. Students also added salt to the water/ink mixture while the water was wet. This added a bit of texture. I did emphasize "while the water was still wet" to my students. Students quickly got the idea that salt does not chemically react with the pigment unless the water/pigment is wet.

Great job Davis Dolphin Artists!!


No comments:

Post a Comment